Re: [TowerTalk] Sprockets with 2" bore needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sprockets with 2" bore needed
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:33:24 -0400
On 4/28/2012 11:34 PM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> Your local bearing supplier is your friend. They can furnish any available
> size in quick turn around. If machining is needed (unlikely with all the
> parts  and options available) they can provide that as well.

Thanks Gerald,

I spent over an hour and a half on Granger's web site until it told me I
had exceeded the number of allowable searches.  I gave them a list of
specs in an e-mail and they said they couldn't help me.  I could
certainly pick out something that would work, but without the proper
information I don't know how long it'd last.

I don't think we have a supplier locally so it might involve a couple
hours driving.  I have a machine shop complete with a Bridgeport that
has digital read out and programmable X and Y axis power feeds.  Really
wish I had all three. <:-)) The nearest I find that "Might" have what I
want is a 2 hour drive...one way.
I did find one place in NJ that sells timing belt gears.  Timing belts
are strong, rugged, very little stretch, and would probably last longer
than chain, BUT they aren't near as easy to get in and out of a tower.
With a chain you pull the pins from the master link and it comes
out.Getting a timing belt off a sprocket on a 2" mast  between two
thrust bearings would be a real challenge.
Hope to have a good tool room lathe soon but could bore out the sprocket
with one of several tools on the Bridgeport including a fly cutter
although I really don't like using those. I also have a boring tool with
adjustable, carbide teeth.

Ideally the primary chain off a big motorcycle with two of the larger
sprockets  would likely work  great, although I'd guess it'd be pretty
pricey.

73

Roger (K8RI)