[TowerTalk] Suggestions -- VNA, Smith Chart Software

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Suggestions -- VNA, Smith Chart Software
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 15:07:20 -0700
I'm looking for suggestions for upgrading my antenna design and analysis
resources.  Something like six years ago I bought the version of the
TAPR VNA marketed by Ten Tec.  It's nice as far as it goes, but six
years is a long time in the development cycle of products like this, and
when my neighbor called looking for suggestions, I didn't have a good
answer.  I've consistently heard good things about N2PK's design, but
it's surface mount, and  my eyes and soldering skills aren't up to it.

Second, I'm looking for Smith Chart software suitable for modeling
antennas.  I need to be able to exchange files with W7EL's EZNEC and
measurement software like the TAPR.  I don't anticipate working above a
few hundred MHz with it.

Suggestions/experience welcome. Please keep it on the list -- I suspect
others may have interest in these issues, and any suggestions may invite
comments/review from others.

73, Jim K9YC