Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Camera - Wireless

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Camera - Wireless
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 16:48:28 -0700
On 5/9/12 12:19 PM, Fred Kleber wrote:
> Been following this thread with interest.  For a very cost effective solution
> (wireless), check out
>
> http://www.hsmm-mesh.org
>
> The camera of choice seems to be the Canon BL-C1A.

do you mean the discontinued Panasonic BL-C1A?  was about $80-90... now
available as used or refurbs?

> A friend has 12 nodes running with IP cameras and IRC at the same time.  We
> are looking to have this technology to deploy in emcomm situations.

You'll need to find a camera that is available, and will continue to be
so.  This, by the way, is the classic problem with trying to move a
great ham solution into a non-ham user community.  We're happy working
with surplus and/or obsolete gear.. you can get it for a good price, we
do our own service, we figure out our own user manuals, etc.

It's really, really hard to have a solution that uses inexpensive
consumer gear (which has a very short market cycle) in these kinds of
applications (where they want it to last at least several years,
preferably more)