Re: [TowerTalk] Chokes and ground mounted verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chokes and ground mounted verticals
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 21:01:17 -0700
On 5/27/2012 1:53 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> Can I run power and coax through the same stack of cores?  Or should I
> choke them separately.

You didn't say what frequency range you're concerned with, or what power
level.  The chokes in my "Cookbook" with lots of cores and lots turns of
coax are designed for maximum US ham power levels.  It's hard to get
enough turns of big coax through 2.4-in o.d. cores, so I would plan on
choking the coax and the power to the tuner separately.  For moderate
power levels, one of the bifilar designs (parallel wires connected as a
transmission line) would be an excellent choice.

As to the importance of using a choke at all -- that's a good question,
and the best answer is, "it depends" on the symmetry and density of the
radial system, the power level, and how concerned you are about keeping
RF out of the shack.

73, Jim K9YC