Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up Tower Guy Tension

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up Tower Guy Tension
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 16:44:08 -0700
On 6/2/12 4:22 PM, David Jordan wrote:
> I've use a TRI-EX CT-100. Its a 100ft  tower with three sets of guys.  No
> spec on how much tension to apply to the guy cable.  Anyone have thoughts on
> the amount of tension for these guys?  The main crank up cable is 1/4" or
> 3/8"( I think) rated at 8200lbs the tower sections have two each cables that
> I think are 3/16".  The original manual doesn't provide tension requirements.

Most crankups aren't guyed... especially on the extending sections.  The
guy increases the downforce on the tower which loads the hoist cable.
I'd assume the guys are for "anti disaster in a big windstorm to keep
the collapsed tower in one place", so zero tension with no wind load is
about right.

Isn't the CT100 a tower trailer?
http://www.tashtowers.com/trailer.html  does show the CT100 with guys,
so maybe an email to Tashjian is called for?

As shown in that drawing, those guys basically make sure that the thing
falls over in one contiguous unit, since they don't extend very far from
the base.  It's not like a conventional guyed tower, more like a self
supporter with a bit of safety added.

When the wind picks up, it's going to lift the upwind leg, so that will
limit the load on the guy (it's not like the guy is anchored into the
ground).  You can figure out what the lever arm is and figure the weight
of the whole thing, and that would give you a bound for the maximum
tension the guys will see.