Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator cage design

To: kiessig@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator cage design
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:56:49 -0700
For a wood telephone pole mounted A4S I built a similar, but longer,
cage ala W8WWV.   I made it about 3.5' long from rotator shelf to thrust
bearing as to reduce the moment on the rotator (the antenna is on 4' of
mast is above the thrust bearing) and to permit hoisting the mast for
rotator maintenance.  It is welded up from 1.5" x 1/8" angle HRS.  Since
the Yaesu (and Rohn) thrust bearings have little or no angular
resistance/strength,  I have a bolt on mast restrainer made from some 2"
angle steel so the weight is taken by it with the rotator out and so the
mast can not tilt when it is hoisted.  The UST towers use a thrust tube
(no bearings) so the mast is tilt constrained when hoisted free of the
rotator.  That is another option for cage design.

Grant KZ1W