Re: [TowerTalk] an antenna analyzer to drool over

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] an antenna analyzer to drool over
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:11:42 -0400
Jim,

I'm interested in the VNWA's 160m performance in the presence of local
broadcast stations.  When designing a Marconi "T" for N4NN, we deliberately
resonated the antenna to 1400 kHz which called for a VNA sweep below
resonance.  Two local 5KW BC stations are at 1400 kHz and 1460 kHz, with the
latter being only about five miles to the south of N4NN's QTH.

We used an N2PK VNA which has potent output power and MyVNA software that
does a nice job of discriminating against interference.  As you can imagine,
the field strength of the two BC stations at the antenna feed is huge,
especially when the antenna is resonant to the nearby stations.  Yet, the
plots only show a slight "blip" in the R and X sweeps.

Since the VNWA unit's output power is about 10 dB less than the N2PK units -
and I believe the entry-level model of the W5BIG units, it would be
interesting to see how well these hold up in the presence of really strong
BC field strength.  I have saved the N4NN plot if you are ever in a position
to look at 160m performance with nearby BC stations -- even if the antenna
is not resonant below 160m.

If $$$ was no object, I'd go for the R&S FSH424 with VNA option.  But,
that's about USD $16K, loaded.  For now, the N2PK VNA works extremely well
for HF purposes, and a used Agilent N1996A-TG S/A was just added to the work
bench.

For folks looking for a spectrum analyzer and who can live with res.
bandwidth to 100 Hz, take a look at the new Rigol DS815.  Without TG, price
is about USD $1300 new.  With TG, it's USD $1500.  Looks like a great value
although I know nothing of Rigol's after-sale support.

Paul, W9AC