Re: [TowerTalk] Minn State courts and towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Minn State courts and towers
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:13:20 -0400
On 7/10/2012 3:08 PM, Larry Loen wrote:
> I don't think this helps or hurts us much.  Not too many 450 foot ham
> towers and I doubt if we'd be tagged for avian migration at 72 feet.

Even with large towers the bid kill is likely much less than most living
room windows. When our two old cats reached the point where they were no
longer agile enough to catch wild life, they go out and set on the rim
of the egress window, facing the house, not the tree.  They'd just wait
until a bird would fly into the window, and then pick it up before it'd
come to its senses.

But don't forget, this was not about bird kill, but that the tower was
merely "visible" from a number of the lakes.  They felt just being able
to see the tower would ruin the wilderness experience. Look up the UN's
  "Agenda 21" to see what they really want to do with the "Wilderness
Experience" and migratory fly-ways.

Many decades ago (like 6 or so), we were gathering at my grandparents
home for Thanksgiving dinner. We were just about to go in and sit down
when we heard this really loud crash and the women started shouting.  A
hen Pheasant had come right through the dining room window and ended up
on the table. Fortunately most of the dinner had not been set on the
table yet AND it was a warm day. It took about a 1/2 hour to clean up
all the glass  and then we started over.

If we were really worried about the birds aircraft would not be allowed
to fly, All wiring would be underground All trees would have to be
topped at 60 feet, and the redwoods would have to be cut down. Oh, yah,
Cities would have to limit buildings to 3 stories or less and remove all
the skyscrapers.

When it comes to "things sticking up" birds are brainless.  After many,
many years of flying I've had a number of collisions with birds during
takeoffs, landings, climbs, descents, and cruise. (One deer on
landing...That was exciting! Expensive too!)  Ducks and seagulls are
completely brainless and unpredictable.  Geese fly like they own the sky
and have the right-of-way even if it kills them. Hawks and even Eagles
will some times attack.   I've had to land and clean the well cooked
bird remains out of the engine on several occasions. Just back around
the pattern to land and it smells like dinner is ready.  Twice around
the pattern and the engine would probably be done.

The old tale that birds will "dive away"...sometimes they do and some
times the don't.    They are unpredictable.
So we might as well ignore the bird lovers and put up the towers. Of
course the EPA and it's use of dictatorial powers applied arbitrarily
may "crucify" any one who dares question them.

I live right in the middle of a major fly-way, so spring and fall can be
particularly interesting when it comes to flying airplanes. The new
RADAR can tell you where they are, but not how high.

73

Roger (K8RI)