[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection via gas tube devices

To: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection via gas tube devices
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:46:07 -0700
On the subject of lightning protection, is this sort of thing:
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21474  useful or advisable?

Do I put one just at the base of the tower (and connect it to the
tower ground system) or do I also have one next to the shack.

I was looking into female-female SO239 type devices for use as the
shack side ground for my coax (I'd have a connector box and then make
sure the paired "SO239"s would then be grounded), but I wondered about
this.

The price isn't great, but what worries me more is the 0.4 dB
insertion loss.  Or, is that at GHz frequencies only?

Larry  Wo0Z