Re: [TowerTalk] Phone pole antenna support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phone pole antenna support
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:18:46 -0400
I used a telephone pole for a support for a Gonset 3 el Tri-bander, then a
big quad, and finally for a TA-36.

I used the support that was in the ARRL Antenna handbook years ago.  The
rotor was mounted between two flanges with the top one being a sleve
bearing,  I started out with a AR-44 Tv type and moved to a TR-44 ham type.
The pole was used between 1958 and 1969.

Usually you cut off any bad part and then plant the pole so that at least
10% is in the ground.  Mine was originally a 75 footer and they (the power
company) cut off about 10 feet and planed 11 feet in the ground.

I put a set of guys about 3/4 of the way up for safety and balast.  If you
can get some steps this helps altho I understand they are hard to find now.

73 Dave K4JRB