Re: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 for SteppIR Remote Driver?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 for SteppIR Remote Driver?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:02:18 -0700
On 7/26/2012 6:38 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> Yes.. you'd want to get a different kind of cable for that part of the
> application, but the run from house to tower, CAT 5 would be just fine.

I would place the SteppIR remote at the base of the tower and run
something more robust up  the tower.  A SeppIR needs two pairs per
element.  There is no need for them to be shielded, but twisted pair is
always a good thing.

> There are flexible, exterior rated flavors of Cat 5.   I'd check with a
> company like L-Com, who have lots of different cables and termination
> hardware.

Yes.  Many companies, including Belden, make stranded CAT5/6 cables for
use as patch cables. Although it's unlikely to be designed for use
outdoors, it would likely be OK, depending on environmental conditions
at any given QTH.  I'm using indoor-rated cables for my control runs and
after three years they are holding up fine. They're mostly shielded by
trees and grass from exposure to sunlight. .

73, Jim K9YC