Re: [TowerTalk] Resistance of Rotor Control Wires (see also CAT5 thread)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Resistance of Rotor Control Wires (see also CAT5 thread)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:56:25 -0700
On 7/26/2012 2:44 PM, Larry Loen wrote:
> I am trying to understand control wire (DC) resistance losses.

You're right to be concerned -- CAT5 is far too small for your needs.
But it's simple Ohm's Law, and you compute the IR drop for 2X the length
of the cable, looking up the R for various wire gauges from a standard
wire gauge table.  To make that computation you need to know the current
that the rotor draws or the resistance of the rotor. You also need to
know how much IR drop the rotor can tolerate and still have good torque.

I don't know what an "M2" is so I can't help with that.

Some rotor mfrs are better than others about providing this info in a
useful form.  For example, Yaesu gives max distances for a certain wire
gauge, and you need to do the arithmetic to translate that to greater
distance and larger wire gauge.  A simple rule to remember is that three
wire gauges is double or half the resistance.

73, Jim K9YC