Re: [TowerTalk] Fire damage to 100' tower with Phillystran guys - help n

To: towertalk@contesting.com, William.Ralston@viasat.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fire damage to 100' tower with Phillystran guys - help ne
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:44:28 -0400 (EDT)

A recent fire in my neighborhood burned a few houses  and most of my 5
acres, but mostly spared my buildings (now brightly decorated  with fire
retardant and melted vinyl).  The tower is 100' with two levels  of guys:  the
Rohn
catalog configuration except for the use of Phillystran  HPTG6700I for the
guys.  The lower portion of the guys (up to about 15 feet  above ground) is
? EHS.  The tower base is fine, as the area around the  base was well
cleared; no damage to coax and equipment at  base.

>  We are, however, concerned about one guy wire that  passes over a stand
of scrub oak.   There might be damage to the PVC  coating on the
Phillystran, but we can't see clearly from the ground even with  binoculars,
and will
probably be bringing in a lift to get a closer  look.

>  My questions are:

1.       Is  there a point at which I need to worry about the steel EHS
losing strength due  to heat from the fire?

            I  don't think so. A grass fire probably doesn't get hot enough
to have much  influence on the steel guys.

>  2.       If the PVC coating on the  Phillystran is intact, do I need to
worry about the underlying aramid (Kevlar)  cable?

            No.  The jacket is for abrasion resistance and doesn't do
anything for the strength.  If it would've gotten hot enough to catch fire,
then
the whole guy would have  burned up.

>  And then the big question... any referrals to  someone that would be
able to (1) inspect, and (2) replace/repair as  necessary?  The tower is
located 20 miles southwest of Salt Lake City,  UT.

        Can you drop the guy and  inspect it? The best way to inspect
Phillystran or any other type of jacketed  wire is to run it thru your hands.
Any
imperfections will be spotted easily. But  if it didn't catch fire, I'd say
you're good to go.

Cheers & GL,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER  TECH