Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Towers

To: Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Towers
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:03:44 -0400
At the present time, I have 5 Universal towers up ... with plans for 3
more in the next year or two.

The 'wobble factor', as Bill said, can be a concern, but, IF the tower
is assembled CORRECTLY, there is minimum wobble over many years.  Had
two of them at my place in Indiana ... from 1979 through 1992 ... one
of them stayed up until 2005.

The biggest problem is the electrolysis between the steel bolts and
the aluminum tower legs.  I suggest that the bolts be changed at least
once every EIGHT years or so ... and tightened every year or so.

If not regularly tightened, the 'wobble factor' WILL cause elongated
bolt holes in the legs.

I prefer Universal 10' tower sections to the 8' Heights tower sections
... fewer joints for a given tower height means fewer problems, IMHO.

Yes, the tower CAN be erected using the gin-pole method, but it takes
much more time/effort to do that.  Universal towers are designed with
a fold-over base.

Correct ... NO rebar is required in the base hole.

Until I got OLD ... I climbed my towers every few months (or less)
with no problems ... now I can't climb due to weak/bad knees, but I
would do it, IF I COULD.

Good luck
73
Don