Re: [TowerTalk] need help identifying a vertical antenna...........

To: rbig@cox.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] need help identifying a vertical antenna...........
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:34:47 -0700
I've had excellent results with a metal roof as the ground plane for a
two different single band verticals on two different structures. You
have a real asset if it is of decent size - 1000 sq ft +.  Check out the
recent QEX articles re elevated ground planes.  It is possible to
extrapolate a bit from that data to see that an elevated metal roof will
work very well as a "radial".  I've tried several EZNEC alternative
representations and it seems that the NEC2 engine does not handle
elevated ground planes well.

So a traditional trapped vertical (several makes, I have no opinion)
that needs radials should work well and fit your length constraint 10 to
40m.  Perhaps there is a top loaded one that also works on 80m but I
haven't come across one.  Otherwise a 80m base loading coil will get you
on 80m but without much bandwidth.

When asking tower talkians a few years ago about metal roofs as ground
planes a lot of concerns were expressed about PIM - passive
intermodulation.   It is caused by partially conducting metal
connections, possible in metal roofs, metal gutters, tower bolts, coax
braid, etc. etc.   PIM is a big concern in the cellular industry where
there are many full duplex radios on a single tower. So, unless you are
a multi-multi (unlikely from your question) I think it is highly
unlikely that PIM will be a concern.  I had no problems with an old barn
(50 yoa) somewhat rusty galvanized roof, an extreme test case, but there
were no multi-multi, SO2R, or full duplex operations at my QTH.  On a
second structure I had to connect two electrically isolated roof
sections together and did that with #16 wire jumpers and would recommend
those about every 18" if you have such a situation.  I could see the
difference on an AIM4170 as jumpers were added.

A hip or mansard roof also helps raise the feedpoint impedance a bit,
the same affect as drooping radials on a VHF ground plane vertical.  You
want your antenna to be on a ridge line, of course.

Grant KZ1W