Re: [TowerTalk] tower permit for Portland OR

To: <dave@nk7z.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower permit for Portland OR
From: CHUCK BARROWS <barrows4967@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:21:40 -0700
Hi Dave, Yes I used the link to prepare a site plan.  None of the people at the
that I met at the Portland permit office had ever heard of it.  One tried to
dismiss it because the original was done in 1991 but I pointed out a revision
date of 2004.  Lots of little things, city amateur tower requires 16' to 1"
scale, but they really want 10' to 1".   At first the zoning people told me the
maximum height allowed is 30' but got them to do some more checking and turns
out there is no zoning height limit for amateur towers.  That generated some
gasps from the zoning lady.  If I am successful getting the tower project will
write up my experiences.    I am trying to get ready to go back to them with
drawings and calculations I purchased from US Tower.  Hopefully this will
satisfy 7 of the 8 things they requested.  I would like to push back on the 8th
which is the requirement to hire a structural inspection company that among
other things "will inspect the manufacturers site to verif
 y that proper welding procedures are being followed" unless other hams that
have put up towers in Portland have done this.  Chuck, K7BVT
 > Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower permit for Portland OR
> From: dave@nk7z.net
> To: barrows4967@msn.com
> CC: towertalk@contesting.com
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:03:37 -0700
>
> Hi Chuck,
>
> Have you looked at:
> http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?a=78662&c=37610
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Dave
> http://www.nk7z.net for equipment reviews, propagation, and more...
> For JT65 Discussions:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/jt65
>

> On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 23:21 -0700, CHUCK BARROWS wrote:
> >

> > I am trying to get a permit to erect a US Tower TX455, 55' tower at my home
> > in SW Portland.  The City of Portland Development Services is asking for
> > several items to prove that the tower conforms with the "Oregon  Specialty
> > Structural Code and/or other city, state, and federal requirements".  I
> > have purchased drawings and documentation from US Towers which will
> > hopefully satisfy most of  the 8 items they have listed.  One item I would
> > like to push back on is the requirement to hire an inspection company to
> > verify that the steel and welding are correct.  The gentleman I talked to
> > at City of Portland Bureau of Development Services said they would expect
> > the the inspection company visit US Tower to verify their manufacturing
> > procedures and that their welders are qualified.  This seems like overkill
> > to me given that the tower in question is an off the shelf item. I would
> > like to hear from anyone that has got a tower permit in the city of
> > Portland in the past couple of years.
 Chuc