Re: [TowerTalk] u clamp sizes for phyllistran?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] u clamp sizes for phyllistran?
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:58:06 -0400
On 8/30/2012 11:50 AM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
  I have various pieces op phyllistrad and wish to use it  for boom
support
and other purposes.

  Need to know the  proper size U clamps for:

T1200
HPTG 2100I
HPTG 4000I

     As long as your applications are non-mission  critical (something other
than guy wires), feel free to use clamps that are  appropriate for the OD
size of the Phillystran. Measure the OD and head to the  hardware store.

     For guy wires, DO NOT use cable clamps on  Phillystran. The Phillystran
will cold-flow under the cable clamp compression  and it will compromise
the reliability of the material.

The smaller 2 sizes of Phillystran used for guying do not have "big grips" and require that you do use cable clamps. Remember to use the u-bolt on the "dead side" and the clamp will not distort the load carrying side drastically. It's the protective jacket that compresses drastically, while the Kevlar core is only compressed a little. Even on wire, cable clamps can reduce the load carrying capacity by 50% which is why we see a minimum of 2 clamps and usually 3 used in critical load bearing areas. Use at least 3 clamps on the Phillystran that requires them and tighten them snug, not as tight as you can possible get them.

These sizes are normally used on small towers and boom trusses. I think you will find that they do not affect the strength nearly as much as the indentations would make us think. Still, I agree that for normal guying, use the sizes that have big grips available.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Cheers & GL,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs