[TowerTalk] Weird 40M Band Conditions

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Weird 40M Band Conditions
From: "Djordan (personal)" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 12:52:44 -0400
Late this morning I called CQ on 40M; had a mobile from Massachusetts come
back.

On the dipole 60Ft AGL he was in the S5 noise level
On the NVIS (8, half waves, four fed over four reflectors) he was in the noise
S0
On the 3 element full size yagi ( 48ft boom) he was in the noise S4

For fun I parallel all three antennas.  With this scenario his signal went up
to S7 a and the noise was S5.  He reported that my signal went from S9 to
S9+10.

Must be a hurricane in the F2 layer this morning.  It seems that this morning
the only way to optimize the path was to utilize an antenna system that has
multiple major lobe take-off angles... 20/50/90 degrees. fun stuff.

I just play with these antennas... Are there any experts or Antenna engineers
on the list that can clarify this morning's scenario?

73,
Dave
Wa3gin

Sent from my iPad