[TowerTalk] Phased vertical elevated radial configuration

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phased vertical elevated radial configuration
From: Chuck Gerarden <cgerarden@atomix.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 21:51:27 -0500
I am installing a pair of phased sloping verticals off a 120 foot
tower for 160M. The antennas are about 3/4 size with top loading. I am
using 4 elevated radials on each antenna. I have read in ON4UN's book
that the radials should be offset from each other and not connected
between each vertical. Can any one confirm this? It is my
understanding that connecting the 2 antennas may cause unwanted high
angle radiation. Ground installations I have seen have the radial
field connection between antennas, but it seems to be discouraged in
elevated configurations Any other opinions/facts out there? A quick
search of these archives did not produce much info.

Chuck
W0DLE