[TowerTalk] F12 Delta 240 performance observation

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] F12 Delta 240 performance observation
From: SPWoo <jj_2_woo@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 23:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

I have a D240 and I haven't
used it much since I put it up this past spring.  Tonight I decided to
run some performance tests.  I found a DX station and I turned the attenuator
on such that that my S-meter was reading S9 when the beam is pointed at him.
When I turned the beam 90 degrees away I saw an S7 which is 12 db less than the
maximum signal strength.  When the beam was turned 180 degrees away I saw an S9
which is the same signal strength
as when the beam was pointed directly at him.  I'm a little confused about
this.  This is
supposed to be a yagi and not a rotary dipole!  The listed spec. for F/B ratio
is 20db at its peak.  I do know that F/B is not constant across the band for a
yagi.  What kind of front to
back and side rejection ratios should I expect to see on this particular
antenna?  I haven't asked Mark at F12 about this.  I don't want to waste his
time until I have more info.  Perhaps I'm missing something on the test or that
I made an error in my antenna assembly.  Your help on this is greatly
appreciated.  73.

Jonathan Woo W6GX