Re: [TowerTalk] 40 m 2 el yagi bandwidth very narrow

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 m 2 el yagi bandwidth very narrow
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:11:07 -0700

A Moxon antenna is also pretty much a dual-driven array. Instead of both elements being current fed at the center, the driven element couples to the second element capacitively at the element tips. You can almost think of the second element being "end fed" by the driven element, but the net effect is that both elements are driven rather than the reflector being exclusively parasitically coupled.

And not surprisingly, the the Moxon has a wider bandwith and greater front/back than a 2 element Yagi ... just as you describe.

Extending that principle to 3 or more elements gets rather problematic, though, since I believe you have to distribute currents unevenly among elements for optimum performance ... and although I haven't tried to model it I suspect that optimum current phase gets hairy as well.

73,
Dave   AB7E