Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Rohn loading

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Rohn loading
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:53:37 -0000
The manufacture only gives a windload specification for the top of the tower so
using your Prime Directive I guess you cannot side mount an antenna in the
middle of the tower. The original poster has an 80' Rohn 45 tower. I really
doubt that changing a lower guy from 3/16 to 1/4 is going to cause any damaging
stress to the tower legs. Rohn 45 can be stacked up to 300' high, certainly
that would put more stress on the tower legs and an 80' tower with one guy wire
having 200# more tension.  Adding star guys would add even more downward leg
force and it is a standard Rohn product. NR5M uses them all over the place.  I
use 5/16 steel and the equivalent in Phillystran for the lower guy on my Rohn
65 tower to help support the 60' boom antenna.  The tower moves less than when
I had 1/4 guys and I have no worries about the legs crushing.

John KK9A