Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Ideas

To: Jack White <m5pro@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Ideas
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 09:57:53 -0700
I had very good results on 80 with an HF2V and an extensive ground radial
system in Minnesota.

Got a lot of 80 DX, including zone 23 (supposedly the hardest for WAZ on
80).  Did not get all zones, though, in a year or two over the last sunspot
minimum.  Was also a fine performer on 40 and even surprisingly adequate
(with an antenna tuner) on 30 meters.  Wrote it all up in the Feb 2007 CQ
magazine including my then-results on 80.

I am thinking about trying the inverted L next as well.

The real question is the radial system here on the dessert.  I have heard
that the dessert soil makes a poor buried radial system, so I'm thinking of
trying tuned radials above ground.  Not really sure on how to do this one.

I've also looked into the inverted L and may deploy one.

Some thoughts:  The most widely seen inverted "L" design is actually for
160.  This seems to be the one you're describing.  You have to work on it
to get a usable 80 meter system (apparently, by changing the size of the
top loading "L" portion).  If you look a the "standard" designs, 80 meters
is kind of unworkable with a huge feed point impedance.

Like many antennas on 80 (including my HF2V as well as the inverted L), the
better your radial system on the "L", the _lousier_ the SWR (or so I
read).  Certainly true for the HF2V.  These antennas have very non-standard
values in terms of Ohms at the feed point.  So, more radials (in most of
the designs I've seen) actually puts the antenna closer to its ideal design
point.  But while this increases the actual signal radiated (by up to
double) it also makes the SWR worse, so matching takes a bit more effort.
In my CQ article, I showed how you could pin the radials to the ground
rather than do all of the (literally) sod busting to bury them.  Worked
very well and took way, way less time.  My riding mower did pick up a few,
but most stayed pinned nicely.

I'm sure all of this discussion is in ON4UN's book.  If I can solve the
dessert radial problem, I may well deploy both solutions.

One thing about the inverted "L" is that one might perform some interesting
experiments in antenna supports. I have no trees (this is AZ), but I wonder
if I can safely get some narrow gauge steel or fiberglass in the air,
safely, guyed by dacron ropes (only dacron will stand up to the AZ sun).
Anyone know of good designs?  The 160 version would require 55 to 60 foot
supports, perhaps, though I wonder if I can let the "L" sag such that I can
have the far end be more like 20 feet that I have deployed before.  The 60
foot "main" line could be in parallel with my tower, then, suspended from
it.

Larry Wo0Z