Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Failure Analysis

To: km5vi@flukey.cc
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Failure Analysis
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:52:46 -0800
A very cool finite element analysis! A lot of work to set that analysis up for the LM470.

If I see the overload points in your FE analysis correctly, the overloads are in/near the overlapped sections of the middle sections. The top and bottom sections appear ok at failure loading. So it is interesting to note some of the differences between a circa 1970/60's designed tower and a current model UST HDX589. I have a Tri-Ex LM354 which I could measure and observe a few differences, the goal being to understand how designs have changed, not pro or con either manufacturer.

1. UST uses 50ksi steel in the legs vs the 42ksi in the TX. The TX appears to fail in leg tension/compression so higher yield steel allows 20% more stress. 2. The UST overlaps are "double Z" braced for the external and internal section vs single Z bracing in the TX, which should better distribute the stress and stiffen the joint. 3. The LM354 bottom section is 1.5" od tube with a 0.125" wall vs the UST #7 (3rd from the top) of 1.66"od by 0.19" wall. It appears that the UST has always a heavier wall tube, although a section for section comparison is not exact. The face center line is 18" on the 354 bottom and 19.94" on the UST #7, so they are approximately the same. 4. The top and bottom of section cross plates are two stamped 0.125" thick x 1.25" bars on the upper sections of my 354 vs the larger flat plates on your 470. The UST uses thicker section channel. 5. The runners on the 354 are flattened and offset segments of the leg tubing as shown in your model, which precluded me measuring these tube wall thicknesses. I'd estimate the wall to be 0.10" on the top two sections, your model rules on this one. UST minimum wall is .154" for sections #3,4,&5. (5 is the 589 top section). On the UST the runners are welded on U stampings that ride inside the lower section, I think a stronger connection between sections.

I doubt that Tri-Ex had FEA available when they designed the LM series. I recall having a project in the 1970's that burned through several $100k of CDC6600 supercomputer time for a FEA of a structure less complex. Now, PCs can do this easily and faster. Towers have gotten stronger and more reliable as a result of better analysis tools, materials, and tougher standards. If the tougher standards are a true reflection of what towers will experience as wind forces, then antenna ratings should be considered as optimistic for older tower designs. However, site specific conditions dominate and the standards & regulations track worst case for a larger geography.

Where will they fail when overloaded? Probably in the middle for LM's and near the base for HDX's.

Grant KZ1W