Re: [TowerTalk] grounding elevated vertical for lightning?

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding elevated vertical for lightning?
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 18:34:21 -0600
Static bleed is not an issue here, sort of. The antenna is grounded through the antenna switch which has a 50 ohm load on the line when it's not selected (unless that's been zapped). And when the line is selected, it's run through a W3NQN type filter so it's got a pair of coils running to ground on the shack side.

In lieu of the RFC, I could use some high-value resistors at the feedpoint. Those would be transparent at HF and would help to draw off the static charge, in the event something back down the line is disconnected (or the antenna switch termination resistors get fried, etc).

How about that?

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie