Re: [TowerTalk] Latest Tower Woe -- Short I can't fathom

To: <lwloen@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Latest Tower Woe -- Short I can't fathom
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 15:24:50 -0600
I don't have the same tower, but similar. And had a similar situation once.

My tower uses Square-D industrial limit switches. While these are well-made all-weather devices, their internal gaskets may eventually dry out or leak water, which will result in corrosion inside the switch. By the time my system was shorting, both the upper and lower limit switches were severely corroded inside. These switches are easily replaced, and in many cases you can replace/repair internal parts. Once repaired/replaced I recommend putting a bead of silicone caulk around all the seams, and also the fitting where the cable enters the switch.

The other thing to look out for is the outer insulation on the cables to the limit switches, even though rated for outdoors/sun/oil/heat, will eventually crack and fray, exposing the internal wires which will then not last long. If you are going to repair the limit switches, it is good to consider replacing the wiring from the control box to the limit switches.

Good luck and 73

Dan
K0DAN

-----Original Message----- From: Larry Loen