Re: [TowerTalk] Conduit To Towers

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conduit To Towers
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:44:14 -0800
In my case it's primarily 1) and 4).  When we bought the property we had a
power line from the street to one pole, a sagging arc to another pole that
was rotten at the base (it came down to about 5' at the low point), then to
another pole where it branched into four separate wires to the house,
garage/shop, planting shed and pump house.   We also had a string of clear
incandescent lights hung on trees down the driveway.

A few years ago I pulled all that down and replaced it with underground
power, CATV cable, and phone line.

When we dug trenches for the line from septic tank (near the house) to the
drain field (up near the road), I had a trench open from house to road.  I
installed a couple of 3" conduits in that trench, one halfway to a HyTower
install site and another to the front of the property with a goal of
eventually putting an Rx array and/or beverage termination out there.  I
added another 3" conduit from house to tower.  I also have conduit in the
wall from the garage up to my shack/office, which is a room over the
attached garage.

I don't now need cables dangling off the side of the house.  I can put them
into conduit in the wall, and then can emerge near ground level right about
where the electric company's ground rod is.

Lots of prep, but we went through some effort to build a nice house here and
I wanted to avoid snaking a bunch of coax up the side of the house to holes
in the wall...

73 de Dick, K6KR