Re: [TowerTalk] Erico chemical ground electrode

To: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Erico chemical ground electrode
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 23:29:13 -0000
Hello David,

Thank you for your response. Looking for a source on "Bentonite" it
appears that there are several types of "clay deposit" materials covered
by the name Bentonite, or Fullers Earth as it can be known over here, and
it is used for a suprising number of purposes.

>From the Erico diagram, it is claimed that the conductivity is improved by
what appear to be "roots" of conductivity "growing" from the holes in the
base of the electrode, out via the Bentonite layer at the base of the
electrode, into the surrounding ground, and there is no mention of
replenishing the "electrolyte salt" after a specified period.

I would like to try the experiment, using a length of copper central
heating tube. I have a professional ground resistance measuring test set,
which I do know how to use, but its the chemistry that will defeat me.

>From what I have read, the Bentonite could be used a "seal" to prevent the
"GEM" material from going further. I assume that the choice of
"electrolytic salts" and the recipe for the "GEM" material would be a
closely guarded commercial secret. But could it be that they are common,
and relatively cheap materials, such as rock salt and copper sulphate, but
they have been given a "new" name for commercial reasons.

Sincerely, John. G3JVC/GM3JVC.