[TowerTalk] US Tower - Bearing and Sheave Experience

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower - Bearing and Sheave Experience
From: "Kim A. Hinceman" <khinceman@comporium.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:03:23 -0400
I recently refurbished my 20 year old US Tower TX-472 and TRX-80HD raising
fixture.

In examination of the sealed bearings used on both tower and raising fixture, I
found several that were binding - badly.  This occurred without load.

I soaked them in household vinegar for a few days, and the bearings were back
to "freewheeling".  I neutralized the acid with water, and stored them in
kerosene before reinstalling.

I suspect there was a small amount of rust inside the bearings that was
converted to water soluble form with the vinegar (acetic acid).

Hope this helps someone, as a check with UST reveals replacements are very
expensive ($100+)

I did give them a shot with PreLube 6 along with the cables, and all seems well
at this time.

Kim
K4ATX