Re: [TowerTalk] Need Help with 130MPH Spec & Crank-Up Tower

To: "'Wayne Willenberg'" <wewill747@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Help with 130MPH Spec & Crank-Up Tower
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 10:33:31 -0700
Wayne-

Although my local EIA/TIA-222G wind spec is only 85 mph, I told my planning
department that the tower engineer recommended I lower the tower to full
nested position whenever the wind was predicted to exceed 50 mph.  They
bought that approach and I received my approval.

I did not offer, and the planning dept. did not request, any data on the
antenna to be installed at the top.  My HDX-589 is rated at 90 mph with only
a 3 sq. foot wind load, ie. maybe a 2 meter Yagi with a 100' of coax.
Anything like a 10-12 sq. foot HF Yagi is way beyond its structural capacity
in high wind.  To survive 130 mph you'll need a custom crank-up or maybe one
of those huge LUSO towers.  Either will be extremely expensive.  And then
you'll need an extremely beefy Dave Leeson antenna design!

Hopefully the lowering-in-high-wind angle will convince your planners.

73,

Steve
N6SJ