Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Stacking on separate towers, take off angle

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Stacking on separate towers, take off angles?
From: Brian Alsop <alsopb@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 22:04:12 +0000
Guys,

I really don't know why these wildly varying multiple lobes is a big surprise. Astronomers have been horizontally "stacking" antennas for more than 50 years. Some of the baselines are as large as the earth's orbit. Horizontal "stacking" produces an "inteferometer" effect-- that is multiple lobes in the azimuthal plane. If the baseline is large, the angular size of the main lobe gets smaller and smaller. Great if you're interested in resolving small objects in space. However, there is the problem of ambiguity. That is knowing which of the many lobes you're listening to. Sure it's solvable for the astronomers. For amateurs, the problem is one of putting too much power in side lobes and not into the main lobe. It would take some kind of variable phasing network to resolve. Radar system engineers have solved this problem many years ago with passively rotated and tilted arrays.

You can see a similar inteference effect by running EZNEC for a 2 meter horizontal antenna at 200' up. There are a gazillion elevation lobes.

73 de Brian/K3KO