Re: [TowerTalk] InnovAntennas contact info

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] InnovAntennas contact info
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:17:18 -0700

I see a comparison for a single antenna out of their entire portfolio. That one comparison is against a competitive antenna of unstated boom length, and it shows the InnovAntenna having the same maximum gain with a slightly wider beamwidth, better front/side, and better front/back. Those factors may or may not represent better noise performance depending upon what azimuthal heading the noise is coming from. If I assume that the noise is spatially uniform an integral of those two plots looks like it would calculate out to be maybe one or two db in favor of the InnovAntenna. If the majority of the noise is coming from a forward direction (such as when I beam eastward toward the sun) the plots look like the InnovAntenna would be about three db worse.

I'll accept the manufacturer's claim that the improvements in front/side and front/back are the result of design flexibilities offered by a loop configuration, but the net result doesn't seem to warrant the hyperbole and that's been my only contention all along.

And yes ... I'll be sure to buy a subscription to another magazine so that I can research all the stuff that's missing from the manufacturer's own website.

73,
Dave   AB7E