Re: [TowerTalk] LMR degradation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR degradation
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:24:54 -0400
On 3/26/2013 3:03 PM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
I find this interesting, especially Bill K4XS' comments.  My comments...

LMR400UF has a thermoplastic elastomer jacket that is good for
"in excess of 10 years" outdoors.

Experience from a number os has come no where near that. Mine was pretty well shot after less than 6 years and this is Michigan which is not exactly noted for lot of or intense sunshine.

It certainly does not feel like a thermo plastic, It's quite rubber like and is a real PITA to strip with regular strippers as it bunches up and does not cling to the braid/shield. Strips well with a plain old box cutter.

 Most of the other LMR400s use a
PE or PVC jacket that're supposedly good for 20 years outdoors.
Apparently, Times' marketing department is... ahem... stretching
the truth a bit!

So far I've had good luck with the regular cables

I've used the DX Engineering DXE-400MAX and Davis RF BuryFlex400 stuff.
It has a Type III PE jacket and has been fine for nearly 10 years
(so far). In another 10 years, I'll let you know if it lasts 20 years. ;-)

The Davis BuryFlex(tm) has a very tough and slippery jacket and is almost as flexible as the UF versions of the LMR cables

I've used quite a bit of the BuryFlex and like it. So far it has stood up well. I've not used any of the DX Engineering cable.

73

Roger (K8RI)

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC