Re: [TowerTalk] Low RFI diesel generator?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low RFI diesel generator?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:51:08 -0700
On 3/26/2013 9:26 PM, R.Morris wrote:

Make a list of all that "needs" to run and figure their start current.

Yes. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, with several power failures a year, thanks to winter storms that drop trees and summer forest fires. We have a big Honda 6kVA generator (big brother of the 2000i, essentially a bigger motor and two bigger inverters strapped for 240V) that provides 240VAC and can run my well motors. I also have a 2000i. I've rewired my home so that everything I REALLY need during a power failure EXCEPT the well is on the same leg of 120-0-120, and have a plug to feed that leg from the 200)i. I can run that leg, which includes lighting, computers, stereo rig, and refrigerator, from the 2000i in econo mode. BIG saving in fuel, and a LOT quieter. When we REALLY need to flush, we fire up the big one, pump some water, do our thing, and go back to the 2000i.

My neighbor, W6GJB, has converted his 200)i to run on propane (what we have here in the mountains), and he's happy. I'm still on petrol. He used it on our California QSO Party Expedition last fall, and as our British friends would say, "it worked a treat."

Note also that these Hondas are rated for intermittent, standby use, NOT for long term, heavy duty use. Be sure to consider your needs when choosing a generator. They are NOT what you need to run 24/7 for two weeks at a crack. These Hondas are relatively quiet acoustically, especially when running in Econo-mode, and are FAIRLY quiet electrically, but they DO need RFI filters if you're serious. A 2000i parked under our tribander put about S7 on 15 and 20M.

Ordinary power line filters are NOT effective, most RFI from a generator is common mode, because what the power industry calls common mode is not what WE call common mode, and they don't filter OUR common mode. SO -- you need ferrite chokes on the power leads, tuned to the frequency of the interference. See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm for a lot more on this. Our 2000i was dead quiet with the filter shown. We also used a simple brute force common mode on the generator built into N6RNO's motor home -- something like 7 turns through five #31 cores of all the conductors -- 120-0-120 and green. You MUST choke green with the power conductors, because the noise is also on green. That's why ordinary power filters don't work.

73, Jim K9YC.