[TowerTalk] 70' Glen Martin Aluminum Tower winch replacement, QED

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 70' Glen Martin Aluminum Tower winch replacement, QED
From: Kenneth Waites <barbiekenw@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
I have finished the hazer project. One man project.
I had to bring the ant down after a tornado.  The teeth on the worm gear looked
worn,
so I decided this was a good time for replacing it.

Final Solution, I cut off the bottom pulleys, and installed a Badlands 6000 lb
electric winch from Harbor Freight.
I figure it will lift 300 lbs with ease.  It does.  And it easily spools my 70
feet of cable.
I mounted it to the bottom panel on the tower. I had to replace the supplied
bolts with 3/8" allthread to
mate with the Holes I had drilled since the winch was heavy and hard to
manage.  This made it easy.
I added a tug line to the mechanical brake.  There is no way to disable the
brake easily, and it is useful when the antenna is in place.
One must keep some tension on it when the antenna is being lowered.  It can be
neglected when the antenna is being raised.

Also the winch manual has an error is showing how to hook up the unit.  The two
red wires need to be reversed from their diagram.
The long red lead goes to positive battery. For battery power, I use a booster
rated at 500 amps starting power.
That's all you need, and it is useful for other things.

This has changed a 3 hour project into a 20 minute project.

Ken K5WK