Re: [TowerTalk] Need Tips on Selecting A Crank-up Tower

To: "'Wayne Willenberg'" <wewill747@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Tips on Selecting A Crank-up Tower
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:27:04 -0700
Wayne-

I have been happy with US Tower's HDX-589.  Their structural engineer was
very helpful on the phone, answering the many questions I had regarding
antenna loading, foundation work, maintenance, etc.  It has a manual
tilt-over winch which is tedious to raise & lower, but I don't tilt it over
that often.  I contacted Karl Tashjian at Tashjian Towers, but he wasn't
very responsive or helpful.

Regarding trees, I had to remove several large fir trees to install my
tower.  That was covered in my county permit.  The permit required that I
complete an environmental check list which addressed the types of endangered
critters that might live in the trees, the effects on rain runoff with the
trees removed, effects on the health of the forest, etc.  If they didn't
like the results, they might have asked for a full EIR report, but the
impacts were all "less than significant" or "less than significant with
mitigations".  And San Mateo County, CA is a very environmentally conscious
area!  So you still might think about removing a few critical trees, it's
just a lot of paperwork.

Make sure there's no arrowheads laying around before the archeologist
arrives!

73,
Steve
N6SJ