Re: [TowerTalk] Tuner cleaner

To: "w3sb" <w3sb@ptd.net>, "Towertalk reflector" <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuner cleaner
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 14:08:47 -0400
I had to replace the rotary inductor twice in my MFJ-989C because it was intermittent , not as a result of dirt or corrosion, but that the inductor had warped from heat. I had used it to tune a short 160 meter antenna. It is a T tuner, not an L tuner. T Tuners can lose up to 25% of power in heat at 1.8 MHz. So, I was dissipating 250 watts in heat inside the tuner box. I could feel the warmth by touching the cabinet.

Hopefully, this is not your problem.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com