Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical antenna comparison.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical antenna comparison.
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:22:33 -0700

I had an R5 for quite some time and it was a horribly lossy antenna compared to the simple setup I replaced it with (straight piece of tubing fed with an efficient antenna tuner), but almost anything that pretends to be a vertical is going to work DX if it is mounted over salt water.

I used to like to experiment with lot of different homebrew wire antennas for Field Day, and one year I tried a long rectangular loop I had designed using EZNEC because it gave a decent match on 40m, 20m, and 15m. I don't remember the length of the loop off the top of my head but it was ten feet high, the bottom was supported about four feet up over some pretty lossy ground, and it was fed in the middle of one end. I liked to operate Single Op QRP Battery and usually placed pretty high nationwide, but that antenna played horribly that entire weekend. Worst performance I had in years and I never used that antenna again. But guess what ... the night before the contest I worked an FR5 from here in Arizona with five watts and good readability.

Anecdotal results are meaningless.

73,
Dave   AB7E