Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Issue/Question

To: Towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Issue/Question
From: jpk5lad@cox.net
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:01:50 -0500

Hi Steve --
I've written several articles on my website
about rebuilding CDE rotators including one
complete article on rebuilding the Tail-Twister.
I also had a problem of losing some teeth off
the ring gear but mine were not near the stop
stob as yours evidently were. The articles
can be found at:

<http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/Rotors/Rot
ator%20Repair%20Menu.htm>

The articles have numerous pictures for the
rotator rebuilder including some of my rotator
with the missing ring gear teeth.

Good luck and 73,
Jim - K5LAD

On 7 Apr 2013 at 15:10, Crownhaven wrote:

> I recently had a failure of my T2X. It would stick on a particular NE
> heading. I pulled it down yesterday and found........
>
> The ring gear teeth were sheared off underneath where it has
> the protruding section that will actuate the limit switch arm
> & continued CW from there.
> Was it just a coincidence that it happened in that area or do
> the teeth just happen to be weaker there for some reason?
> For those that have lost ring gear teeth, has that been a common
> area where it happened? This corresponded to the heading of NE.
>

> Have the same question into Norm's Rotor Service. I'm prepared to
> replace the ring gear but curious as to why this happened the way it
> did. An inspection of the rotor revealed no other apparent issues.
>
> Steve, N4JQQ, Memphis, TN

Growing old is like being increasingly penalized
for a crime you haven't committed.
-- Anthony Powell
Visit my webpages at:
      http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/