Re: [TowerTalk] concrete sealant

To: xdavid@cis-broadband.com,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] concrete sealant
From: Missouri Guy <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 22:20:46 +0000
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 11:42:29 -0700 David Gilbert
<xdavid@cis-broadband.com> writes:

> True.  I don't really understand the reason for sealing the surface
> of
> the concrete in the first place, unless it is maybe to avoid severe
>
> freeze/thaw spalling of the surface.

Bingo!  That's the reason.  Sealing up any (to begin with) microscopic
cracks before they become bigger cracks.  Of course that won't
help the concrete below ground where it can (and does) absorb
water.

Another way to make concrete last longer is to use
"air entrained" concrete.  A chemical is added when the concrete is
being mixed....produces very very small bubbles in the mix to
allow the hardened concrete to expand "into itself" (for lack of a
better term right now) without breaking.  It's not a new technology.
The air entrainment might be the cause of some concrete walks,
etc lasting for decades without cracking.

73,
Charlie, N0TT