Re: [TowerTalk] wireless rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wireless rotor
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:52:22 -0700
On 4/10/13 3:33 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
The noise I hear from it when sniffing is from the USB cable, not from
the GH unit specifically.  I put ferrites on both ends of the USB just
as a precaution anyway.

The presence of a uP near the antenna does not necessary indicate
trouble. And a lot of those uP units will have a sleep state setting as
part of the hardware which is enabled by the firmware.  So the device
wakes up when tickled by some input (like a RX flag) - or at a periodic
time interval.  It really depends on the implementation for that unit.

The LDG does that, and frankly, it's a pain, because you have to generate a "break" to wake it up.

Most modern micros run at a high enough clock rate that they just don't have much output power at HF. We're long past the days of a 2MHz Z80 in a S100 card cage putting birdies everywhere. VHF is another story.

DC/DC power supplies are another pain in the rear aspect because they work at a few hundred kHz, and have copious output across the HF spectrum.