Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: the future of antenna and tower inspection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: the future of antenna and tower inspection
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 22:13:05 -0700
On 4/15/2013 4:37 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

A couple of years ago on TowerTalk I proposed doing exactly that for
DXpeditions but didn't get a single response from anyone.  I even
calculated the weight of the power leads necessary to keep it aloft (one
of which could be the antenna) and in theory it should work ... at least
for the model I was investigating at the time.   Just program the GPS
height and position and let it hover overhead, winds permitting.  Since
height wouldn't be an issue, it might even be possible to suspend an
array of two verticals hung from a larger triangular section of light
twine.

The biggest unknown at the time I was thinking about this was the useful
life of the motors ... I suspect they would take a beating under
continuous use.

73,
Dave   AB7E