Re: [TowerTalk] Stub mast strengthening

To: "GW4BLE" <steve.gw4ble@btconnect.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stub mast strengthening
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 12:40:24 -0400
Hi Steve -

I am successfully using that type of construction on elements in my Log Periodic. I have as many as 3 or 4 layer of tubing and as a quick "swag" at strength I just added the resistance to bending moment of each additional layer. The longest elements I have are about 46 feet. I designed it for 100 mph wind with 1/4" of ice. It's been up for about 12 years, with wind of at least 85 mph with no problems. Two primary factors led me to this design - First of all, I had lots of old tubing that fit the need. Second, I was able to get to the desired mending moment resistance and keep the max O.D. down to 1 5/8", thus keeping the wind resistance and area for ice accumulation to a minimum. Bottom line - I would vote in favor of using the insert if you think you need the extra strength.
Gene / W2LU

----- Original Message ----- From: "GW4BLE" <steve.gw4ble@btconnect.com>