Re: [TowerTalk] Mast vs. 45G

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast vs. 45G
From: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@k0tv.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:50:33 -0400
If you mean a 20 foot long heavy mast, I've done a 21 foot long SCH 80 2 1/2" pipe that weighs 165 lbs. We put it in and then took it out. I thought the gin pole was going to bend but it worked. My gin pole is a WB0W with a 24 foot 1/4" wall tube. I replaced it with a 24 foot long 3" mast made of 6061-T6 aluminum, 3/8 wall weighing in at 96 lbs. The new mast was easier to get in than getting the old one out.

I've seen XX towers put the same mast into R-45 using a gin pole made of R25 (with a climber on top of the gin pole!). They apparently do it all the time.

Both towers have two thrust bearings (TB-4). One at the top and a second about 5 feet down in the tower. The rotor can be pulled by just picking the mast up and locking it in place.

I hope I got the right meaning of "20 heavy". Most of the time, "something heavy" means a large aircraft to me (eg. Delta 435 Heavy), I'm also a flight instructor.

73, Jerry - K0TV

-----Original Message----- From: K7LXC@aol.com