Re: [TowerTalk] Mast vs. R45G part deux

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast vs. R45G part deux
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 23:59:59 -0700
On 4/19/2013 6:38 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Don, K4ZA rigged a very elegant device using a basketball hoop to manage
a tall mast while raising it with a gin pole and dropping it down
through a thrust bearing. Don't have any pix here but maybe Don can oblige.

You use a ring at the top of the gin pole. when you raise the mast that ring keeps the mast from turning over when at the top of the lift.

A ring just above the thrust bearing also aids the operation.

When lifting mast you have to stay above the balance point to keep the mast vertical. The hoops aid in keeping it vertical and in essence it's like gaining a couple more feet of pole.

It's not with out risk and it's not without additional effort, and it does take a bit more skill, but I've use this approach many times. Currently I use a 24' gin pole with a two piece mount. It's heavy, so the extra reach which is very handy and convenient does take more effort

The pole is a stock length of either 1/8", 3/16", or 1/4" wall 6061-T6
depending on what I need for strength. Normally the 1/8" is plenty strong if the pole isn't running extended. It'd probably be handy to use a half length piece with 1/8" wall as it'd be about a 1/4 of the weight of the 24' X 2" X 1/4"

73

Roger  (K8RI)
\

73, Pete N4ZR