Re: [TowerTalk] Distributed tower loads

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Distributed tower loads
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@spamcop.net>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 18:56:05 -0700
One bit of clarification... I neglected to say that I am interested in GUYED
towers, not free-standing, so the ordinary bending moment calculations are not
so applicable. If we assume ideal inelastic guy wires, and we place the antenna
right at the guy station, it seems that the tolerance to horizontal force is
nearly infinite. So that's an indicator that certain antenna positions could be
more advantageous than others, and might explain how some of those really
impressive stacks manage to stay aloft. But clearly there is much more to it,
and that's why I ask the question about what simplifications might be
acceptable for purposes of estimation.

-Gary, WB9JPS