Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of tower
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 17:40:25 -0400
On 5/6/2013 5:13 PM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
Gentlemen,

It's hard to believe that a screw connection can be approved for burial. Even
if it is allowed, and why wouldn't it, I still would (very strongly)  prefer to
be able to inspect them now-and-then.

I have never had a buried screw connection maintain integrity. When we put in an underground feed the electrician used the standard ground rod clamp. A year later I removed the dirt and could slide the clamp up and down the ground rod using only 2 fingers

73

Roger (K8RI)

I used short pieces of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipes around my ground connections. Lowes
has (I am sure) caps that fit over the 4" pipes so grass and other stuff can cover
them. I also like to be able to run the lawn mower over it without problems.

Hans - N2JFS