[TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding of tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding of tower
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 23:55:24 -0700
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 14:47:59 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding of tower

For the same reason, the use of SEPARATE grounds for RF or for audio
with no "green wire" between the equipment is VERY unsafe -- the reason
for the safety ground is to blow a fuse if something "breaks" and causes
the chassis to be "hot," exposing people to electrical shock. The REASON
for the green wire is to blow a fuse, and if there's no green wire, only
separate ground rods, there's not enough current through the earth to
blow the fuse and remove the shock hazard.

73, Jim K9YC

##  Interesting enough, you won’t find  3 prong plugs on any consumer stereo
gear these days !
They are ALL 2 prong types, with a polarized plug.  Ditto with flat screen TV’s
 etc.  If the
chassis’ ever ended up hot, you would not be aware of it.

##  Is anybody actually stupid enough to make pro-audio rack gear with pin 1
problems?
I have 2 full racks of pro audio gear, and none of it has pin 1 problems.   If
it did,  I would
just send it back.

##  On both my yaesu 1000MK-V’s and also the pair of 1000 –D’s,  I’m sure they
both  have the
pin 1 problem.  On the mk-v, the rca  patch input on the rear apron is a right
angle to the board.
No big deal, I just installed a new rca jack directly to the  AL rear
apron....then wired the hot side of
the rca directly to the analog BM input...problem solved.

Jim  VE7RF