Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum tubing strength with holes.

To: K1TTT@ARRL.NET
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum tubing strength with holes.
From: jcjacobsen@q.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 12:33:48 -0400 (EDT)
Dave is looking for a way to attach a beta match to a Hy-Gain Long John beam.

Dave and all.

I had to pull up the manual from Hy-gain to refresh my memory on that
attachment method. Now that the cob-webs are gone, and the "limited" memory is
back: It has been my observation over the years that as long as you use a
conductive compound on all surfaces, and you get the bolt/clamp arrangement
tight enough so the ring doesn't spin, there is no problem. If it's loose, I've
seen small pieces of aluminum shim put in between the element and the ring.
I've done it myself on an 1980's vintage KT-34A that I rebuilt. The trombone
sections were/are a real pain to get tight. Aluminum shims took up the slack.
As you may have guessed, I believe in the KISS principle.

There are an awful lot of those Hy-gain beams in the air, and they seem to hold
up with that design clamp.

Good luck and hope this helps.

73 es GDDX

K9WN Jake