Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Replacement - what would you do?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, fishflorida@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Replacement - what would you do?
From: k7lxc@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 07:46:18 -0400 (EDT)
>  I've been looking for a replacement that would fit on the current base
> -RCB-70 in a robust base as specified for the LM-470 and the LM-354HD.
> Notowers in good shape have popped up.A while back, I reached out to Tashjian
> and learned that freight from theirfactory to my place is about $3,000 - more
> than half the cost of thereplacement tower itself.
se i
>  My questions for the group:1. Has anyone engineered a way to use the
> Tri-Ex/Tashjian base for anothertower? Aluma tower is relatively close by
> and, if I could make the currentbase work, I would save shipping and have a
> lighter "temporaryinstallation" tower that is light enough to easily move.

Howdy --

    Installing just about any kind of base in an existing base is easy. Just
rent a rotary hammer and coring bit and drill new holes for your new anchor
bolts. Use industrial epoxy to glue them in and yoiu're good to go.

    BTW I can't recommend the aluminum crank-up. The base bolts for it were in
the 1/4" range. The tower up-haul line was very inadequate - it might've been
1/4" too and was a white cheap synthetic line. The line eventually broke -
surprise! - and the tower collapsed. IMO professional opinion this aluminum
tower was very under-engineered.

>  2. Has anyone worked out a way to save shipping costs from Tashjian?
> Forexample, if two or more people from the same geographical region (or on
> thepath to Tashjian's facility?) ordered towers, they could hire or take
> theirown truck and trailer.

    There are websites that'll give you shipping quotes - some of which will be
more reasonable.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH